New Events

National

no events posted in last week

Blog Feeds

The Saker
A bird's eye view of the vineyard

offsite link Alternative Copy of thesaker.is site is available Thu May 25, 2023 14:38 | Ice-Saker-V6bKu3nz
Alternative site: https://thesaker.si/saker-a... Site was created using the downloads provided Regards Herb

offsite link The Saker blog is now frozen Tue Feb 28, 2023 23:55 | The Saker
Dear friends As I have previously announced, we are now “freezing” the blog.  We are also making archives of the blog available for free download in various formats (see below).

offsite link What do you make of the Russia and China Partnership? Tue Feb 28, 2023 16:26 | The Saker
by Mr. Allen for the Saker blog Over the last few years, we hear leaders from both Russia and China pronouncing that they have formed a relationship where there are

offsite link Moveable Feast Cafe 2023/02/27 ? Open Thread Mon Feb 27, 2023 19:00 | cafe-uploader
2023/02/27 19:00:02Welcome to the ‘Moveable Feast Cafe’. The ‘Moveable Feast’ is an open thread where readers can post wide ranging observations, articles, rants, off topic and have animate discussions of

offsite link The stage is set for Hybrid World War III Mon Feb 27, 2023 15:50 | The Saker
Pepe Escobar for the Saker blog A powerful feeling rhythms your skin and drums up your soul as you?re immersed in a long walk under persistent snow flurries, pinpointed by

The Saker >>

Public Inquiry
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005

offsite link RTEs Sarah McInerney ? Fianna Fail supporter? Anthony

offsite link Joe Duffy is dishonest and untrustworthy Anthony

offsite link Robert Watt complaint: Time for decision by SIPO Anthony

offsite link RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony

offsite link Waiting for SIPO Anthony

Public Inquiry >>

Human Rights in Ireland
Indymedia Ireland is a volunteer-run non-commercial open publishing website for local and international news, opinion & analysis, press releases and events. Its main objective is to enable the public to participate in reporting and analysis of the news and other important events and aspects of our daily lives and thereby give a voice to people.

offsite link Julian Assange is finally free ! Tue Jun 25, 2024 21:11 | indy

offsite link Stand With Palestine: Workplace Day of Action on Naksa Day Thu May 30, 2024 21:55 | indy

offsite link It is Chemtrails Month and Time to Visit this Topic Thu May 30, 2024 00:01 | indy

offsite link Hamburg 14.05. "Rote" Flora Reoccupied By Internationalists Wed May 15, 2024 15:49 | Internationalist left

offsite link Eddie Hobbs Breaks the Silence Exposing the Hidden Agenda Behind the WHO Treaty Sat May 11, 2024 22:41 | indy

Human Rights in Ireland >>

Lockdown Skeptics

The Daily Sceptic

offsite link News Round-Up Fri Jul 26, 2024 00:55 | Richard Eldred
A summary of the most interesting stories in the past 24 hours that challenge the prevailing orthodoxy about the ?climate emergency?, public health ?crises? and the supposed moral defects of Western civilisation.
The post News Round-Up appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link The Losing Battle to Get Public Sector ?TWaTs? Back in the Office Thu Jul 25, 2024 19:06 | Richard Eldred
Years on from Covid, Civil Service 'TWaTs' (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday office workers) are harming productivity and leaving desks empty. The Telegraph's Tom Haynes explains how this remote work trend affects us all.
The post The Losing Battle to Get Public Sector ?TWaTs? Back in the Office appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link ?Prepare to Go to Jail,? Judge Tells Just Stop Oil Art Vandals Thu Jul 25, 2024 17:00 | Richard Eldred
Guilty and about to face the consequences, two Just Stop Oil activists who hurled tomato soup at a Van Gogh masterpiece have been told to prepare for prison.
The post ?Prepare to Go to Jail,? Judge Tells Just Stop Oil Art Vandals appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Hundreds of Thousands Are Ditching the Licence Fee ? And It?s a Crisis for the BBC Thu Jul 25, 2024 15:00 | Richard Eldred
With an £80 million revenue drop and growing calls for a licence fee boycott, BBC bosses are struggling to prove that Britain's biggest broadcaster remains worth the cost.
The post Hundreds of Thousands Are Ditching the Licence Fee ? And It?s a Crisis for the BBC appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link The Democratic Party Clown Show Continues, With Giggles Replacing Bozo Thu Jul 25, 2024 13:00 | Tony Morrison
Biden's sudden exit and the canonisation of his hopeless VP is a dismal chapter in American politics ? one that will further erode trust in the democratic process, says Tony Morrison.
The post The Democratic Party Clown Show Continues, With Giggles Replacing Bozo appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

Lockdown Skeptics >>

Roisin McAliskey justice appeal

category national | rights, freedoms and repression | press release author Wednesday May 30, 2007 13:45author by Gan Ainm - Belfast ABC Report this post to the editors

The Coalition of Irish Republican Women requests your urgent action in regard to the latest attempt to extradite Róisín McAliskey to Germany. Her extradition hearing is June 6, 2007. We desperately need your immediate help to pressure the British government not to extradite her.

From: Coalition of Irish Republican Women
Date: May 25, 2007 9:37 AM

The Coalition of Irish Republican Women requests your urgent action in regard to the latest attempt to extradite Róisín McAliskey to Germany. Her extradition hearing is June 6, 2007. We desperately need your immediate help to pressure the British government not to extradite her.

Background:

Róisín McAliskey is a 35-year-old resident of Coalisland, Co. Tyrone. She is the daughter of civil rights activist and former Member of Parliament Bernadette Devlin McAliskey. Róisín is the mother of two young children, the first of whom was born while she was incarcerated without bail in England upon a prior German request for extradition in relation to a 1996 mortar attack by the Irish Republican Army on a British army base at Osnabruck, Germany.

Róisín McAliskey has always denied participating in the attack, and substantial evidence establishes that she was in Ireland, not in Germany, at the time of the attack. Less than one year after the attack, the chief witness for the proposed German prosecution could not identify Róisín McAliskey from a recent photograph.

In 1998, after international outcry, then British Home Secretary Jack Straw rejected the extradition request on the grounds that Róisín's extradition would be "unjust and oppressive." The Crown Prosecution Service subsequently found that there was insufficient evidence to warrant prosecution.

On Monday, May 21, 2007, the British government again arrested Róisín McAliskey on the basis of a new extradition demand by Germany pertaining to the Osnabruck attack. The extradition request was issued in October, but the British government did not act upon it for approximately seven months. The British government is proceeding with extradition proceedings despite the fact that it rejected Germany's request to take over the prosecution because it had already determined there was insufficient evidence to try Róisín McAliskey in Britain. Fortunately, Róisín McAliskey was granted bail this time.

---

Request:

We are asking everyone to do three things:

1. REPOST!

2. Protest outside the nearest British embassy or consulate on Friday, June 1, 2007. For a list of British consulates and embassies, please see http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket...95231

We will supply you with text for a press release and letter to the ambassador or consul. Please let us know if you will join us in our coordinated demonstrations, so that we can include it in press releases.

3. Contact the following officials and organizations, along with anyone else they may think will be of assistance in attempting to persuade the British government not to extradite Róisín McAliskey to Germany.

British governmental addresses:
- http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page821.asp
- http://www.nio.gov.uk/index/contact-us/enquiry-form.htm
- public.enquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk (salutation: Right Honorable John Reid)

Irish governmental addresses:
- taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie (salutation: Honorable Taoiseach)
- minister@dfa.ie (salutation: Honorable Minister Ahern)

Human rights organizations:
- http://iccl.ie/contact.html
- http://www.amnesty.ie/amnesty/live/irish/aboutai/contac...=2155 (please select "urgent actions")
- Nearest office of Human Rights Watch, which may be found at http://www.hrw.org/contact.html

Also, British Irish Rights Watch, for which we have only a postal address:
Jane Winter, Director
British Irish Rights Watch
13b Hillgate Place
London SW 12 9ES

---

We suggest you raise the points listed below in your letter. If you prefer to take a shortcut, at the end of this message we have provided sample letters for each category of contacts.

Points to raise:

* Róisín McAliskey has always maintained her innocence, and substantial evidence supports her claim, including an alibi and a principal prosecution witness's inability to identify her a few months after the attack.

* Britain has already determined that there is insufficient evidence to try Róisín McAliskey for the Osnabruck attack.

* Almost 11 years have elapsed since the Osnabruck attack, and the passage of time makes it a great deal more difficult to obtain a fair trial and defend against the charges, as witnesses are more difficult to locate and may have died or become incapacitated or too infirm to testify, witnesses' memories naturally will have dimmed or been artificially shaped by intervening publicity, and physical evidence may have deteriorated or be unavailable for testing by the defense.

* The timing of Róisín McAliskey's arrest and delay in acting upon the extradition request strongly suggest her arrest is an attempt to scuttle the newly-restored devolved government by elements within the British government opposed to the peace process, such as MI5. ****This point should not be raised with any government agencies or Officials; however, it can be used for Human Rights Organizations.****

---

Sample letter for British governmental offices:

I am writing to oppose the extradition of Róisín McAliskey to Germany.

Ms. McAliskey has always denied involvement in the Osnabruck attack, and substantial evidence supports her innocence. She was in Ireland at the time of the attack. Within a few months of the attack, one of the chief prosecution witnesses, when interviewed on German television, was unable to identify Ms. McAliskey as a participant. Consistent with this state of evidence, the British government previously determined there was insufficient evidence to prosecute Ms. McAliskey in Britain. It rejected a request by Germany to take over the prosecution.

In addition, the passage of nearly 11 years since the attack has made it unlikely Ms. McAliskey can obtain a fair trial and defend herself against the charges. Witnesses will have become difficult to locate, and some may have died or become incapacitated. Even available witnesses' memories will have dimmed substantially or been artificially shaped by intervening publicity about the case. Physical evidence may have deteriorated or be unavailable for testing by the defense.

I ask that you use all of your power and influence to refuse Germany's extradition request.

Sincerely,

---

Sample letter for Irish governmental offices:

I am writing to request that the Irish government use all of its power and influence with the British government to oppose the extradition of Róisín McAliskey to Germany.

[...]

I ask that you use all of your power and influence to request that the British government refuse Germany's extradition request for Róisín McAliskey.

Sincerely,

---

Sample letter for human rights organizations:

I am writing to request that your organization speak out against the proposed extradition of Róisín McAliskey to Germany by the British government.

This is the second attempt by Germany to extradite Ms. McAliskey for alleged participation in a June, 1996 attack on a British military base at Osnabruck, Germany. The British government imprisoned Ms. McAliskey pending extradition for approximately 17 months before finally releasing and refusing to extradite her in 1998.

[...]

The timing of Róisín McAliskey's arrest and the British government's six-month delay in acting upon Germany's October 2006 extradition request strongly suggest the arrest may an attempt to scuttle the newly-restored devolved government in Belfast by some elements within the British government opposed to the Northern Ireland peace process .

I ask that you use the prestige and influence of your organization to pressure the British government to refuse Germany's extradition request for Róisín McAliskey and to help mobilize the public in opposition to her extradition.

Sincerely,

---

**We thank you all for your support and any help on the behalf of Roisin McAliskey will be appreciated.*

author by irishpublication date Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:20author address author phone Report this post to the editors

I suggested reading the original case which is subject of human rights enquiry based on
a politically motivated regime and grounded in Michael Howard's loose canon ethos.
Howard has never regained his political 'appeal' since that abuse. Roisin Mc Aliskey was
pregnant at the time of her incarceration. I then suggested that JacK Straw, whose role
in the spying on GCHQ/UN resolution on illegitimate war/human rights abuse, be studied.
At no point did i say that extradition is not the answer to criminal charges. I would suggest
that Mc Aliskey would not get a fair trial. International extradition warrants in the case
of criminal activity, including the Mc cann Case are of necessity; but there is a vast
difference between the MC Aliskey and Mc Cann cases and it is simplistic to suggest parallels.
The MC Aliskey case and it's import is known to many Irish people who witnessed it at
the time, this does not mean that they have republican empathies, but are aware
of the human rights issues in the case. Finally, I stated that the offices of the judiciary
and police/secret services should be separate from the offices of the State, be it in
Ireland or within the EU, therefore making the institutions credible and fair. There
was nothing fair in the treatment of Roisin Mc Aliskey at the time of the original incarceration.
It was an appalling example of politically motivated inprisonment which I will say again
was grounded in expedient action by Howard and there is little difference between
Michael Howard and Jack Straw, who retains his influence in the international arena
despite the collapse of the Blair regime.

author by Europeanpublication date Sun Jun 03, 2007 02:20author address author phone Report this post to the editors

You seem to be very opposed to extradition between European countries. Here is one logical outcome of your opposition. If an Irish paedophile was suspected of an involvement in the abduction of Madeleine Mc Cann you would object to their extradition to Portugal to face trial there. You must object because you are anti-extradition, aren't you? Or are you just against the extradition of suspected IRA terrorists?
Either you agree that extradition is sometimes necessary or you are a fool. I strongly suspect the latter.

author by Irishpublication date Sat Jun 02, 2007 20:05author address author phone Report this post to the editors

How long are people going to keep up the facade of propriety with regard to the democratic
values on display in the EU ? Irish people are in Rostock, doing the carnival- its
anti-capitalism. They have their kids with them, the situation is appalling.
What are the German authorities so afraid of that they would beat up and maim protestors
with principals. Do you really think that ireland is a democracy, or that Germany is.The recent
election here has exposed the corporate penetration into the so-called vehicles of
democracy where the legislation is prepared by and to facilitate extra-governmental
organisations {Weapons entities/building interests/ communications and military infrastructure}

The Irish Government has betrayed the people of Ireland and people who cannot see that
that is also part of the E.U are lying to themselves. It is of necessity to keep the judicial
and legal apparati separate from the State. This means high-lighting human rights abuse
for exposing the inequities. it is no coincidence that Mr Ahern was visiting with Angela
Merkel last week? Ms Merkel is currently involved in transnational corporate trade agreements
with the US. The Labour Government has shown itself to be every bit as facist as the previous
Thatcherite entity. Jack Straw is as politically connected to people like Condoleeza Rice
as anyone can get. I suggest you google the speeches leading up to the Iraq war
and carefully Consider the role that new labour played in legitimating it.
Roisin Mc Aliskey was subjected to gross abuse under Howard's Regime and it is in
danger of reptition under Straw's. also check out the Amnesty pages on the case. it
is incorrect to claim such naive belief in the institutions of an EU which is bowed to
corporate penetration in such an obvious manner.

author by Europeanpublication date Sat Jun 02, 2007 19:03author address author phone Report this post to the editors

How do you conclude that I am ashamed to be Irish because I don't object to an Irish citizen being extradited to a democratic European country to face trial? The only things which have made me feel ashamed of being Irish in the recent past are the atrocities carried out by Irish terrorists. Things like torturing and killing widows,slaughtering children in Warrington. That sort of thing. People are extradited to face trial in other European countries regularly. You only seem to be objecting in this case alone because you share her republican viewpoint. BTW I've never drank a latte in my life. I have tried to use words with not many syllables so I don't unduly bore you.

author by Irishpublication date Sat Jun 02, 2007 13:42author address author phone Report this post to the editors

There is no shame in being Irish, you know. The EU is as corrupted and homogenised at
parliamentary level as the Irish Government is. This is a result of multi-national influence.
It is the citizen's duty to point out the necessity for proper and accountable courts, police
forces and judicial systems. The thing is sold as necessity, in other words cooperation
between states has led to loosening of ethical values in favour of expedients. This can
be quite clearly traced through the transnational bank and trade agreements.
Of course the psychological attempt by the corps to ethnically
cleanse national characteristics and history by advancing a sophisticated euro model
and therby vaulting all principles of choice and parity
often plays to the weak mind. Those who claim to have read books and had milky lattes
on terraces are still just red-neck oirish, you know. There may be a veneer of sophistication
about dropping you cultural and linguistic roots, but you sound like a naive or a boring old
fart. Michael Howard bent all the rules and psychologically tortured MS Mc Aliskey.
Jack Straw who pushed in the UN for the illegal war is losing the hearts and minds
arguments over his corrupt ex- prime minister friend (Tony Blair) and the issue is
abuse of human rights. bury your sweet little head in the sand and be aware that the
more ethical and moral power you hand over to the faceless corporates in exchange
for a veneer of respectability - the cheaper both you and the coffee becomes.

author by Europeanpublication date Sat Jun 02, 2007 02:25author address author phone Report this post to the editors

I have no reason to expect that this woman would get anything other than a fair trial in a democratic European country like Germany. If she is is innocent she will probably be found to be innocent, if she is guilty she will probably be found to be guilty. It makes more sense that her guilt or innocence be decided in a German court rather than on an Irish internet website.

author by Jonathan Farrellpublication date Fri Jun 01, 2007 22:11author email jonny_farrell at yahoo dot co dot ukauthor address author phone Report this post to the editors

Roisin is absolutely innocent of the offences she is suspected of having committed. She has a young family a worthy job and this abusive process will continue to have a devastating effect on her and her children until it is stopped.

The conflict in Ireland now has a road map for resolution that moves beyond the use of violence. Irish and British people need to find a way to address and take responsibility for the horrors of our war without the malicious pursuit of those with whom we disagree. I know that as an upstanding republican, Roisin would honourably take part in such a forum.

This attempt to extradite her is nasty, vindictive and not in keeping with the trend of conflict resolution in Ireland. I urge you all please to investigate it and to support calls for this abuse to stop immediately.

author by Betsy - Coalition of Irish Republican Womenpublication date Thu May 31, 2007 22:53author address author phone Report this post to the editors

Thanks for posting this. We will be out demonstrating at the British consulate in Los Angeles on Friday, 1 June 2007. The Chicago cumann of the Irish Freedom Committee will be demonstrating at the consulate in Chicago at about the same time. Please, everyone who is able, go out to demonstrate at the British embassy in Dublin as soon as possible. We must do everything we can to keep Roisin out of the hands of the German government.

author by D'publication date Thu May 31, 2007 16:45author address author phone Report this post to the editors

Full support should be given to Róisín McAliskey and all relevant organisations and individuals need to throw their full wait of solidarity behind Róisín, visible and otherwise, and in any way they can.

No extradition
.

Also support the anti war activists who had protested against Tony Blair’s visit

Demonstrate @
Laganside Courthouse, Belfast
Wednesday, June 6 @ 10am

Show your support for justice in Ireland and Iraq!

As Always,

In Solidarity D'

author by Con Carrollpublication date Wed May 30, 2007 16:50author address author phone Report this post to the editors

I have sent emails Irish council for civil liberties. Amnesty International.

author by Con Carrollpublication date Wed May 30, 2007 16:34author address author phone Report this post to the editors

will ther be a protest out-side the British embassy in Dublin
if so can you post it up on indymedia please.
I have sent email to An Taoiseach office. also Minister Ahern

author by Con Carrollpublication date Wed May 30, 2007 15:59author address author phone Report this post to the editors

I fully support Roisin
and believe Roisin is innocent
solidarity greetings

Number of comments per page

© 2001-2024 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy