Upcoming Events

Dublin | History and Heritage

no events match your query!

New Events

Dublin

no events posted in last week

Blog Feeds

Public Inquiry
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005

offsite link RTEs Sarah McInerney ? Fianna Fail?supporter? Anthony

offsite link Joe Duffy is dishonest and untrustworthy Anthony

offsite link Robert Watt complaint: Time for decision by SIPO Anthony

offsite link RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony

offsite link Waiting for SIPO Anthony

Public Inquiry >>

Human Rights in Ireland
Promoting Human Rights in Ireland

Human Rights in Ireland >>

Lockdown Skeptics

The Daily Sceptic

offsite link Female Fencer Takes a Knee and Refuses to Fight Transgender Opponent as She Tells Ref: ?I Will Not F... Thu Apr 03, 2025 17:00 | Will Jones
A female fencer was disqualified from her tournament after taking a knee and refusing to compete against a?transgender?opponent, telling the referee: "I will not fence against a man."
The post Female Fencer Takes a Knee and Refuses to Fight Transgender Opponent as She Tells Ref: “I Will Not Fence Against a Man” appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link David Lammy Spends Over ?1 Million on Private Jets in Three Months Thu Apr 03, 2025 15:24 | Will Jones
David Lammy has spent more than ?1 million on?private jets?in just three months despite Labour?s vow to crack down on expensive ministerial flights and the Government's Net Zero fanaticism.
The post David Lammy Spends Over ?1 Million on Private Jets in Three Months appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Elon Musk Says Reports of Him Quitting DOGE Are ?Fake News? Thu Apr 03, 2025 13:00 | Will Jones
Elon Musk has said that reports of him quitting DOGE ? a claim put out yesterday by Politico ? are "fake news" as officials say he's going nowhere until his "incredible" work is finished.
The post Elon Musk Says Reports of Him Quitting DOGE Are “Fake News” appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Rich Should Fly Less so Poor Families Can Still Take Summer Holidays, Says Climate Change Committee ... Thu Apr 03, 2025 11:00 | Will Jones
Richer people should be made to fly less so poorer families can holiday without worsening Britain?s carbon footprint, Emma Pinchbeck, the Chief Executive of the Climate Change Committee, has said.
The post Rich Should Fly Less so Poor Families Can Still Take Summer Holidays, Says Climate Change Committee Head appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Recent European Flooding ?Unexceptional?, According to New Science Findings Thu Apr 03, 2025 09:00 | Chris Morrison
Recent European flooding is "unexceptional" from a historical point of view, a new scientific paper has found. Records show that flooding was far greater in the past, before human CO2 emissions rose, the authors conclude.
The post Recent European Flooding “Unexceptional”, According to New Science Findings appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

Lockdown Skeptics >>

Voltaire Network
Voltaire, international edition

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?126 Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:39 | en

offsite link The International Conference on Combating Anti-Semitism by Amichai Chikli and Na... Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:31 | en

offsite link Western Europeans Deprived of Defense, by Thierry Meyssan Tue Mar 25, 2025 06:04 | en

offsite link The Arab-Islamic Committee and the War in Palestine Sun Mar 23, 2025 11:32 | en

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?125 Fri Mar 21, 2025 11:48 | en

Voltaire Network >>

Save Moore Street 1916 Historic Site & Buildings from Demolition @ 1pm on Sat 30th Jan

category dublin | history and heritage | feature author Thursday January 28, 2016 20:38author by 1 of Indymedia Report this post to the editors

March from Liberty Hall to Moore Street - #SaveMooreStreetfromDemolition

featured image

#SaveMooreStreetfromDemolition This is an important call to you to take part in this crucial show of support of the 1916 Moore Street Markets Battlefield site, on this Saturday. We are asking people to come in 1916 uniform or clothes, to bear one of the flags of the 1916 Easter Rising, to tell and bring your friends and comrades. #SaveMooreStreet Please share this post.

The march assembles at Liberty Hall at 1pm on Sat 30th and then proceeds to Moore Street.

We urge as many people as possible to attend to event because this probably the last chance we have not to turn this into another Wood Quay episode where our history was destroyed and concreted over. A huge shopping centre is planned for the Moore Street site by developers -the same kind of people who helped wreck the country and put their own greed and profit first and they are being facilitated by the FG government who for once and for all want to bury any memory of the rebels and their revolutionary ideas.

Indeed it this era of consumerism and corporate control and the impending TTIP agreement between the EU and US that has central to it something called Investor State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) which are special courts presided over by corporate lawyers, for use by corporations and are ABOVE our national sovereign and there is no right to appeal and are in secret. They will allow corporations to sue the state for non-competitive activities, such as labour laws, environmental protection, safety and will be able to force the privatisation of everything from health, education, prisons, water, forests and any other public entities. -It is to stop such monstrosities as this that we need revolutionary spirit and ideas and you can be absolutely sure that the rebel leaders of 1916 are turning in their grave that the hard won sovereignty for which they gave their lives is about to be given away in this TTIP treaty. Indeed no less than leading members of FG have actively promoted and encouraged that Ireland have these ISDS courts. This is amounts to treason.

So please show your support for the Moore Street campaign and lets start first by preserving our heritage.

***************************************************************************************************************
We include an recent article by Maureen O'Suvillvan TD on the saga of Moore Street and which includes a timeline of events so far.
Src: http://maureenosullivan.ie/latest-news/minister-officia...race/
***************************************************************************************************************
Minister officially refuses to give independent conservation experts access to inspect Moore St. terrace

Since 2009, when it was first acknowledged that this historically significant area could in fact be destroyed and built over as Wood Quay was and Kilmainham Gaol very nearly had been in the 1950s, we have fought to make sure we don’t lose Moore St but for a fitting historical quarter to be put in it’s place preserving the buildings and the street. Eventually the struggle resulted in the Government purchasing 14-17 Moore Street as a National Monument which is a tiny portion of the full historic terrace. In recent weeks this issue escalated when word was received that buildings either side of the 1916 Monument were being demolished.

For those who haven’t been following the saga we have created a Moore St. timeline:

Dec 16th 2015: Government coalition vote against saving Moore St from total demolition by outnumbering opposition TD’s in the 1916 Quarter Development Bill 2015.

Jan 5th 2016: Construction workers recommenced work, erecting scaffolding and hoarding. A commencement notice had been granted for surveying building features in the National Monument but the works seem to be far more extensive.

Jan 7th 2016: Moore St. Dáil Group raise the issue in the Dáil with the Minister once again; Minister doesn’t back down.

That evening I get word that building fronts are being removed and the interiors are being left open to elements. Seemingly a plan to demolish buildings either side of the National Monument is being put into action.

Jan 8th 2016: A protest takes place on Moore St and the groups in support of Save Moore Street occupied the buildings to prevent demolition of a number of buildings as there was no other choice.

Jan 11th 2016: The High Court puts a temporary stop to demolition on Moore St until a full hearing of the case taken by the 1916 relatives on the 2nd of Feb.

Jan 12th 2016: The groups overwhelmingly agreed by a show of hands to vacate the site after a meeting of the groups in the Moore Street Terrace, as the immediate threat of demolition was averted.

Jan 15th 2016: After a number of protesters who occupied the buildings raised the damage they had witnessed inside the buildings a group of TD’s and the Lord Mayor sought access to the site with independent conservation experts to inspect the work that was carried out and to see if any structural damage had taken place along the terrace.

After initially being told we would be allowed access, every 5 minutes we were told it would be another 5 minutes. Eventually the two conservation experts were refused entry by the foreman and no reason was given.

Jan 20th 2016: After sending a formal request to the Minister for access and following up with calls on Monday and Tuesday I eventually received a response from the Minister with no indication that a visit would be granted, instead she says she has arranged for an inspection by “a senior official of the City Council’s Planning Department, accompanied by the City Archaelogist, who can afterwards provide you directly with the information you have sought about the current status of the works.” We’ll see what becomes of that review; City officials are to report on work to the National Monument at a Lord Mayor Forum at 2pm tomorrow (26th January) at City Hall.

I will be making an application through the Chief State Solicitor’s Office for access and on February 2nd we will find out the High Courts’ decision whether the works on the buildings are allowed to continue or not. We sincerely hope that the High Court decision will reflect the huge outcry of support the campaign has received and that a new vision for the entire area will be realised. The irony of what the men and women in 1916 fought for and what is going on now, these men and women fought not only for Irish independence but for an Ireland of Equals and they would be dismayed that the ordinary people have to campaign and fight against a Government and council that puts corporate interests ahead of the will of the people. We live in hope that the decision will go our way but if it doesn’t the fight will continue as this is too important to let go. We will not let 1916 Dublin be built over in the same way Viking Dublin was with the Civic Offices in Wood Quay.

Great photo included of Moore St in 1974 long before is was allowed fall into it’s current state.

Aerial shot of the historic Moore Street buildings planned to be demolition with a nod from Minister Heather Humphreys FG
Aerial shot of the historic Moore Street buildings planned to be demolition with a nod from Minister Heather Humphreys FG

Moore Street in 1974
Moore Street in 1974

 #   Title   Author   Date 
   Exchange between Independent TD Maureen O’Sullivan and Enda Kenny over preserving Moore Street 1916 Buildings     T    Thu Jan 28, 2016 14:03 
   WHY was moore street was allowed to get into such dis-repair,where were the AAA,PBP and Sinn Fein et al before all this?     RUA    Sun Jan 31, 2016 09:46 
   follow the money     Harley    Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:30 
   Save Moore Street Rally today -Sunday 31st Jan @ 3pm     anon    Sun Jan 31, 2016 14:13 
   Banksy strikes ?     rebel    Sun Jan 31, 2016 14:25 
   Nurse Elizabeth O'Farrel's feet     Sorel    Sun Jan 31, 2016 22:11 
   Moore Street The Fight Goes On - Short Film     Save Moore Street Campaign    Mon Feb 01, 2016 21:54 
   Sunday's Rally for Moore Street report     T    Mon Feb 01, 2016 22:17 
   Save Moore Street protesters heckle wreath-laying ceremony     T    Thu Mar 31, 2016 23:52 


Number of comments per page
  
 
© 2001-2025 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy